Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Breast Cancer Awareness in Our Family

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is so important to remind women and men to do self exams, have yearly mammograms, and see your doctor. It really hits close to our family. 
In November 2010 I shared my story while going through a diagnostic mammogram, a Stereotactic biopsy, and then surgery to remove the abnormal mass in December 2010. I have to still see my Oncologist yearly for a diagnostic mammogram and will always see him for my exam to make sure there is not another mass. After having Skin Cancer and breast surgery I am more aware of what is happening to my body.
Breast cancer can happen to anyone. It can happen to women and men. It can happen to those we love and are closest to. It happened to me and now it has happened to someone so close to me, my best friend, My Sister. 
She was diagnosed in  August after having a routine mammogram and being called back for a biopsy. Her biopsy came back showing Cancer and was  backed up with an MRI  which found two more cancers. She went through the process of BRCA  DNA testing and is now waiting for surgery date for a double mastectomy and reconstruction.  Her faith in God, support of her family,and good doctors will get her through this. 
Early detection is important! See your doctor if you experience any of the following signs or symptoms:
Lump, hard knot or thickening inside the breast or underarm area
Swelling, warmth, redness or darkening of the breast
Change in the size or shape of the breast
Dimpling or puckering of the skin
Itchy, scaly sore or rash on the nipple
Pulling in of your nipple or other parts of the breast
Nipple discharge that starts suddenly
New pain in one spot that doesn't go away

Be a Survivor! I am! My sister will be too!

4 comments:

  1. I love you sis! I do want to also add that I did not have any of the signs mentioned...BUT, if your Dr tells you that he/she sees a spot or mass in the ultra sound, DON't put of getting a biopsy right away!
    I waited 10 months after my Dr. told me that he saw a spot. I laughed it off as a cyst or just a shadow. That was DUMB. Listen to your Doctor. Thank you sis for posting this blog....you ARE a wonderful friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put my pain off too, Sis. I shouldn't have and looking back it was foolish. We always think we know best but you are right...see your doctor, listen to what he says more carefully,and do what he says!
      Were both fighters....you will kick this and together we can get through it and move on to the next chapter in our life.....Getting Old Together

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your sister, Betty. Prayers are with her!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! She finds out Monday her surgery date.

      Delete