Thursday, October 20, 2016

Sister's Walk for the Cause



My Sister, Margie, is a 3 year Breast Cancer Survivor. This year I had the opportunity to fly out to Arizona, to share in her Cancer group's 5K. I flew there last Wednesday and spent a whole week, most of which was helping her with the event. She did such an amazing job on her 2nd Annual Walk & 5K .
"The Breast Cancer Warriors Club" was created in 2014 when Margie Newman couldn’t find a support group that was focused on Breast Cancer and was close to Verrado after she went through Breast Cancer and Double Mastectomy. Margie took it upon herself to create a support group for Verrado residents so they could share stories and depend on one another through their fight. She thought of starting a Breast Cancer support group so that they could be there for each other; to just listen to each other; to compare notes; to help support each other. And once she set out to do so, she discovered she wasn't alone.
These are just some of the Verrado Survivor's in her group, which has doubled in a year. I had the opportunity to meet these ladies and I applaud each of them for their courage and strong will to survive.
Being there to do the walk side by side with my sister, meant so much. She's alive today and I count every minute with her even more precious as siblings. She went through a lot and she's not out of the woods yet, but she's fighting every day she's on this earth and with the Grace of God, she will kick this for life.




After the 5K everyone attended the fun raiser raffle and what a success that was. Margie was able to find 45 Sponsors from Phoenix, Goodyear, and Buckeye. The prizes raised over 1500 dollars and was given to The American Breast Cancer Awareness Group in Phoenix. I even won two great prizes my self.

My Sister is defiantly My Hero

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! Sis, this is so nice. It was an honor to have you here (with me) to help in the support of a great cause. I just wish I could have spent more time with you. Thank you so very much for all your help. The highlight was us walking together! I love you very much...little sister....my Best friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you too, Sis! I would do it again for you... well, , maybe not soon, but again!

      Delete
    2. I wish I could run with you this year. I will be there in spirit and cheering for you

      Delete