Friday, November 11, 2022

Wars fought


I grew up watching the weekly TV show, "Mash". Still watch it most days. Today I watched several hours of the end finale. Made me cry a few tears , smile , and laugh.

That weekly show gave those at home something to hold on to and feel like we were given a glimpse of the Vietnam war. But we really didn't know the truth, the hurt, the lose.. a lot of soldiers lost their life for this country and the ones that came home, came home lost, misplaced, broken. We will never know the truth of all they went through. Most won't talk about the war at all. 

As a very young girl I remember my mom sharing letters my older brother would write home. She would read and reread them  and try to make since of the sensor cutouts left in the mist of those letters. I can remember things he would send each of us sometimes. He sent me a grass skirt once and a black opal necklace another time. But when he was fighting it was the care packages I remember the most that my mom would send him.  When I was older I would write him and looked forward to the times he would write back.  Then one day, he came home. He never talked about Vietnam much. He was quite and seemed to me withdrawn. I always wondered what he must have seen or gone through. If my brother reads this post I want to thank him for serving for his country.

 Thank you to all the husbands and wives, mothers and fathers, grandparents, uncles and aunts, siblings, brother-in-laws and sister-in-laws, cousins, friends, neighbors, coworkers, and so many more who served!

There has been many wars our ancestors have fought in. The Civil War, World War 1 and 2, Vietnam. More recent Iran and Iraq. In the Bible the end times tell us there will be wars and rumors of wars.... I believe we are in those times....

God bless each of you and God bless the USA.

2 comments: