Sunday, June 7, 2020

The Eyes behind the Masks


As a child, did you ever play the staring game with another person? You know, where you both stare into each others eyes and the one that blinks first is the looser...Did you ever get a flashlight and hold the light under your chin to make your eyes look scary, in hopes to scare your friends in the room? There's a lot you can tell about looking into someone's eyes. There are the eyes of a scared person. The eyes of sadness. The eyes of love. The eyes of anger and hate.
Even looking in the eyes of our horses , I can almost see their soul as it looks back.  Their eyes show the trust they have for us. Looking in the eyes of our three grandchildren I see laughter, excitement, and lots of giggles. I can see in those eyes when they tell a tiny lie or when they don’t feel good.  Our oldest granddaughter looks back with mystery and wonderment . I can see her mind figuring out a scientific reasoning before she even speaks . Our only grandson looks back with those big puppy dog eyes as if to ask why for the hundredth time. Our little granddaughters eyes look like they are singing a happy song or smiling back . 
When I look into the eyes of our daughters I can see another grownup looking back. Sometimes they look sad and tired. Sometimes they look back as if they are looking for answers to what’s happening around them . But I also can look in their eyes and see the little girls they were .  When I look in their husbands eyes I see strong men providing and working hard for their family. 
When I look in my husbands eyes I see love unconditionally looking back. I see those eyes looking at me for who I am. I don’t see hate in those eyes. I don’t see fear in those eyes . I see passion , caring, and helping eyes. 
We are living in a different time now. A  world pandemic where nothing is the same. For months , everyday, another part of life as we once knew it is crumbling around us. During this time we have to wear masks . We are told to cover our mouth and nose so not to spread the virus. But those masks can’t cover our eyes ... the eyes that still look back, still talk without a word. The eyes that are behind the masks ... the eyes of our family.... the eyes that talk, laugh, and love.
These are the eyes behind the masks.

No comments:

Post a Comment