Sunday, February 9, 2020

Cry me a thousand tears

When I was a little girl and cried, my Dad would cup his hands together like a bowl, place them right under my chin, and then he'd  say, "Cry me a thousand tears".  It would make me stop crying almost every time, because I knew I couldn't cry that many tears. But now I'm grown up and know I was wrong. I have cried a thousand tears.
Tears of joy, tears of sadness. Tears of hurt, tears of love. Some tears are seen but most are those that are unseen. I've cried at weddings and I've cried at funerals. I've even cried at the movies. I've cried because a bug or dirt got in my eye. And I've cried after poking myself in the eyeball while putting on my mascara. I cried when I saw my children born and I cried holding each one of my grandchildren for the first time. I cried holding my mothers hand knowing it was our last conversation. I've cried after an argument with a loved one and I've cried after saying I was sorry. I've cried at school, at church, and on my job. 
The Bible says tears are a part of life. "A time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance" {Ecclesiastes 3:4) 
Have I cried a thousand tears? I'm sure I have cried several thousands and I'm sure I will cry thousands more.

No comments:

Post a Comment