Thursday, December 19, 2019

The Library in the Dark



The lights are out again and my eyes adjust to the darkness . I hear only the sounds of the clock ticking on the wall in the other room and the light breathing of another person near by. My mind wonders and my thoughts consume me and I start to drift over to that library of books on the shelve in hopes that I might open one that will give me rest from this dark. 
I thumb through the books and the many titles. There are fiction, romance novels, mystery's, folk, science fiction, fashion, cooking, health, business, spiritual, and so many more .The collections  are endless. 
I reach in and take a book off the shelve from true story's.  They have lots of great titles here. "Life's Blessing's", "The Peaceful Place"., Bless the little Children", "The Blessing's from Above", and "Where the Path Leads". As I replace the book and reach for another category, my heart starts to beat faster and the sound in my ears is like the ticking of that clock I can hear. I loose focus for a little bit and I can see a little light coming in the window in this dark room. I had pulled a science fiction from the shelve without realizing the effect it was having on my mind and how scary they are... You know the titles..." Heartbreak in the Home", "Life's Lesson's", "How Family can Hurt you", "The Curse of The Tongue", and "The Unforgiving". I put that book back as I shiver and feel sadden at the sight of them even being on the shelves. I pull out a different book. Its a health book. There's lots of them. Two titles that cross my sight are "Medical problems", and "Looking for Cures". I read a lot of pages and as I flipped from page to page, I began to read of all the loved ones and people I know that are suffering and looking for cures, but the book I was reading showed no answers. I replace it with a Cookbook. I see several of these here. "What's for Dinner", "Good and Bad Recipes". " Dining In or Out", and "Cooking for Two"
Moving on, I reach for a different title. Its a Romance Novel. I love these!. There are so many...
"The Love of My Life", "Just the Two of Us"," Dancing in The Moonlight","Together till Death we do Part".
So many books on these lonely and dark shelves.  I suddenly heard by a quite voice speaking in my heart to pull out another book from the shelve. I reach in and pull out my old " Bible". And as I dusted it off, I began to read the words clearly. I began to feel peace in the dark and it was the only book tonight that gave me answers and finally a feeling of rest.
There are a lot of books here in the darkness as I wonder through its library. Some have collected dust from not ever being opened again. Some made me laugh and some made me cry. There are brand new books, old, wore out books, some that need replaced, and some that are falling off the shelves to places unknown. I cant imagine life without these books because they keep me entertained, keep my eyes focused on life's path and up to date. But most of all...
Visiting the library in my mind, in the middle of the night like so many nights when I can not sleep... They give me something to read in my mind.
The old clock in the living room ticks in time, the breathing of my husband sleeping next to me starts to snore again, the light begins to shine through the bedroom and I can hear the cars going up and down our road and the birds begin to sing outside our home. As I shut my eyes and start to drift back to sleep, I feel thankful that I have lots of books to read on my minds shelve and I'm not alone nor scared of the dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment