Friday, July 19, 2019

Sounds in the Night


Many nights I awake in the night and lay there a long time before I can sleep. There is a noise in the room that sometimes is loud like a locomotive train engine sound in the distance. Other times its a lower and shallow sound. I lay there listening a long time and wondering when the next sound will fill the room. Last night was one of those nights, that I lay awake and listened to those familiar sounds. I was caught with the thought of what the silence would mean after all these years of hearing them in our house and they were to suddenly stop. 
It would be lonely and sad not to hear them. It would feel empty and broken hearted. Then I realize the sound has stopped and my heart races..
I reach out my hand to the other side of the bed and lay it on my husbands quite body. Still no sound and then a deep gasp of air. I shake him and he awakes and ask me if I'm okay. "Your gonna chock, I say", or “not wake up". He turns over and goes back to sleep. 
The sadness is overwhelming as it fills my heart. I would be lonely and sad if I didn't hear that sound of the locomotive train or the funny puffing sounds that my husband makes. I won't say it doesn't keep me up at nights, cause it does. But, it means he's still there beside me in the middle of the night and I can reach out and touch him and know he's still with me...so I’ll put up with those sounds that keep me up in the night...

No comments:

Post a Comment