Wednesday, November 27, 2013

My sister is my hero


 After almost three weeks spent helping my sister during the recovery of a double mastectomy, I flew back home to the holiday hussel and bussel and still feel torn to be with my sister. Her surgery went well but she has a long road ahead of her to get well. She still has the stretching of the skin expander treatments and a final surgery in about three to four months. She has a lot of pain along with good days and bad days. After she discovered she had breast cancer she choose to have the BRCA DNA test to help her with her decision to not only have a mastectomy to remove three cancer areas in her left breast, but to have a double. 
I hadn't been home but a few days and had to visit my dermatologist, where he treated eleven new precancerous skin spots.  He flagged three areas for a return visit in three months, about the time my sister will be having her next surgery.  My Dermatologist feels that when it is time to see my Oncologist in a few months, that he will want to run a BRAC DNA test on me also. I had abnormal cells removed from my left breast two years ago and with that and skin cancers, along with my sister and Aunt having breast cancer, that puts me at a high risk.  
My sister is my hero. I really look up to her and how brave she has been through such a life changing time. 
She is a survivor. I am so thankful to God for my sister. 

8 comments:

  1. You are my hero, sis! You are a survivor in many ways. With all the cancers you have gone through and with all the faith you have for GOD! I should be writing a blog on YOU!. Thank you, dear sister for being here for me. I love you so much and am sure there is NO OTHER friend like you.
    Hug....Gentle ones though...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are sisters for...I love you!
      Many hugs

      Delete
    2. To have pity parties with...love you sis!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure you both will be appreciating the holidays even more this year. Merry Christmas and God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness you two look alike! Are you twins?

    Praying and hoping for the best for both of you. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birdie,
      So glad you stopped by. No, lots of people ask us that, but she is older by five years.

      Delete
    2. Big mouth! I am only 1 year older...lol

      Delete
    3. And you look beautiful for your age. You know... As the older sister! I love you

      Delete